Proper nutrition and hydration play a key role in the healing process. When your body has access to the nutrients and vitamins it needs to thrive, you will be able to restore your physical and mental health while also improving your chances of recovery.
At Arise Treatment Center, we offer comprehensive nutrition support to patients in our detox and treatment programs. Our talented nutritionist works closely with each patient to create a customized wellness plan that is designed to help you flourish in your recovery.
How Substance Abuse Affects Your Health and Wellness
Each substance has its own way of disrupting the body and impacting your health. At the same time, everyone’s body is different, so your nutritional needs may be different from another person’s.
Some of the most common ways drug and alcohol abuse affects nutrition include:
- Appetite loss – Many drugs, such as stimulants, reduce appetite and can lead to nutritional deficiencies or malnutrition.
- Bad choices – While under the influence, people often crave sugary or fatty foods that can cause weight gain or malnutrition.
- Gastrointestinal (GI) issues – Alcohol and other substances can cause chronic GI issues that prevent the body from being able to absorb nutrients properly.
- Hypoglycemia – Poor diet or lack of eating can lead to low blood sugar.
- Organ damage – Substance abuse can damage the body’s organs’ ability to absorb nutrients, break down food, and process nutrients.
A poor diet can also exacerbate mental health issues like depression and anxiety because a poor diet is linked to mood swings. Similarly, a poor diet can also cause insomnia and other sleep problems.
Incorporating nutritional support into your addiction treatment program can help you heal from the damage done by substance abuse, improve your mental health, and give you the ability to thrive in your newly sober life.
Nutrition Support During Detox For Substance Abuse
Our dedicated team of medical and psychiatric professionals understands how important proper nutrition is for addiction recovery. That’s why we don’t waste any time in providing you with nutritional support. When you begin our detox program for substance abuse, we provide you with:
- Healthy, balanced meals
- Nutritious snacks
- Vitamins and supplements
- IV nutrient therapy
- NAD+ therapy
These nutritional services can begin restoring optimal functioning in your body so you can detox faster, feel better, and start getting healthy.
Nutrition Support During Addiction Treatment
After detox, our dietician or nutritionist can work closely with you to identify and treat your specific health needs. Our inpatient residential rehab program offers a variety of nutritional support services, including:
- In-depth assessment
- Personal coaching
- Vitamin and mineral supplementation
- Meal planning
- Eating disorder recovery treatment
Our staff will identify what areas of your diet need to be improved as well as what ways we can best support you. Throughout treatment, we are dedicated to offering only healthy, balanced meals.
Benefits of Proper Nutrition in Recovery
The foods you eat affect more than just your weight and appearance. They also affect your moods, emotions, cognition, reflexes, and sleep. This means that the benefits of having proper nutrition in recovery are virtually endless. However, some of the most important benefits of nutritional support during addiction treatment and recovery include:
- Correct nutritional deficiencies
- Balance and stabilize dopamine levels in the brain
- Reduce drug and alcohol cravings
- Promote neuroplasticity for faster healing
- Increase energy levels
- Reduce mood swings, depression, and anxiety
- Facilitate the recovery from co-occurring eating disorders
- Encourage self-care and a healthy, active lifestyle
Additionally, individualized nutritional counseling, as well as nutrition education programs, can significantly improve treatment outcomes and reduce your risk for relapse.
Nutrition Support at Arise Addictoin Treatment Center
Arise Treatment Center uses a holistically-tailored approach that promotes healing of the mind, body, and spirit. Our nutrition support services help make sure you have access to the healthy foods and nutritional counseling you need to make a complete recovery. By combining nutritional support with our other evidence-based programs, we are able to offer every patient the comprehensive and individualized care they deserve.
Don’t wait any longer to get sober. Start your recovery by giving us a phone call today.